A couple of years ago, I don’t remember when, I built a small NAS using a Raspberry Pi 2 B version 1.1, and two 128G USB flash drives from Microcenter.  It is called “raspi-nas”, and  I built it following the How-To Geek Guide: How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device.  It worked well to back up our phones.  Which is all it is used for.  It used wireless for the network connection.

After the last move, it has taken a bit to put the device back in service.  Had to find the right box it was in. Get the new network set up, etc.  Setting up one of the TV systems, I found a prong from plug stuck in the power squid.  No idea what it went to.  A few days later, I went to plug in the raspi-nas, and noted that their was a prong missing.  So I got a new 2.5 Amp adapter for the pi 2 and the pi 3.

Power up tonight, and go to change the IP address and it’s failed.  Giving I/O errors.  Some QA sites said to try and upgrade.  That failed too.  raspi-config gave a segfault, apt gave I/O errors, other commands just didn’t work.

So I installed an version of Raspbian lite on the ssd card.  When I bought the adapter, I got two new 256G flash drives.  So the next step was to copy the data from one of the old ones to the new ones.

That went sideways.  New_drive1 kept loosing connection and had to be reseated.  Looks like it corrupted after re-configuring to NTFS.  Windows must not have been done formatting it when I pulled out it.  Drive2 worked fine.  But copying using tar (old trick from Linux Server Hacks volume 1) took forever.  And the only thing I have with 2 USB 3.0 ports is running windows.  It can’t boot from DVD or USB even though the bios said it should.

So I had to use a box with 1 USB 3.0 port and copy from a USB 2.0 port.  Took a while, about 5 hours so far.

Now back to getting the raspi-nas configured for samba.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *